Indigestion also called is dyspepsia in medical terms. It is defined as discomfort in region of upper abdomen. Person feels like burning sensation in chest, heat and pain in area between lower breast bone and navel. Sometimes people confuse dyspepsia or indigestion with heartburn but both are different conditions. Heartburn is only the sign but indigestion can be the underlying cause of any digestive system disease. Heartburn and indigestion symptoms are almost similar and it is difficult to differentiate between them but with the careful observation we can diagnose the real problem. If anyone knows what does indigestion feel like he/she can differentiate in from heartburn easily.
Also See: Flatulence And Symptoms Of Excessive Gas
What Does Indigestion Feel like ?
If you feel indigestion after every meal and it has become long term indigestion, it can be problematic and it leads to serious medical conditions or worsen the other digestive disease so if anyone is having long term indigestion problem he/she must go for the treatment. Main indigestion symptoms or in medical terms dyspepsia symptoms are following.
- Feeling of fullness yet your stomach has not satisfied
- Pain in abdomen
- Acid reflux or heartburn
- Burping/ bloating feeling
- Discomfort due to Flatulence
- Nauseous feeling
- Mouth taste become very sour
- Either diarrhea or constipation
All these dyspepsia symptoms will tell you what indigestion feel like.
Causes of Indigestion
There are number of possible causes of indigestion or long term indigestion. Indigestion after every meal shows something is seriously wrong and you must treat it by identifying the cause.
Causes of indigestion are following
- It can result from any other medical condition because indigestion/dyspepsia itself is not any disease. Those medical conditions may be Gastritis, Gallstones or pancreatitis
- Mostly you feel indigestion and bloating after eating than diet can be the possible cause of it. Like if you are eating fat rich, greasy and spicy food it tends to dyspepsia. You are in-taking such diet like alcohol or caffeine which is problematic.
- Your lifestyle can be possible indigestion cause because if you are smoker, smoking the tobacco products like cigarette can lead to indigestion.
- Indigestion can be the side effect of any medication.
Treatment of Indigestion
You must start indigestion treatment by yourself like if you are having indigestion and bloating after eating then maybe you are eating such food which is the cause Avoiding those spicy foods and alcohol will not trigger indigestion. Sometimes stress also causes indigestion, relieving stress can prevent dyspepsia. Some home remedies for the treatment of indigestion are following
- Avoid fatty and spicy foods. Stay away from caffeine and alcohol as well.
- Prevent air intake while eating for this keep your mouth close while eating.
- Relaxing will also help you if you are stressed.
Some OTC medications which can cure indigestion are following
- Antacids will reduce amount of acid in stomach which triggers indigestion.
- H2-blockers or acid blockers like Cimetidine, Ranitidine, and Famotidine etc decrease acid level in stomach.
Heartburn and indigestion can occur together but these are different conditions. In this situation take combination of antacid and acid blocker.
So if you know what does indigestion feel like you can easily diagnose it and treat it.